“If you take care of your tools, then they’ll take care of you” is a well-worn idea – and it’s just as important to remember this advice when it comes to taking care of your tools in the kitchen as it is anywhere else in life. As with most of the machines in your kitchen, from the kettle to the fridge, they all need a good cleaning from time to time, both inside and out. In the case of your dishwasher, this is particularly important.
Why is it important to clean your dishwasher?
- Grease and limescale can build-up over time and reduce the effectiveness of your dishwasher.
- Your machine can produce bad odours resulting from build-ups if it is not cleaned regularly.
What is Finish Dishwasher Cleaner?
Finish Dishwasher Cleaner tackles grease and limescale which has built-up over time in hidden and vital parts in your machine, including the filters, spray-arms and pipes.
Finish Dishwasher Cleaner has a dual-layer formula: its blue layer removes grease (from leftover food) and its clear layer targets limescale (caused by hard water).
How often should I use Dishwasher Cleaner?
It is suggested that you use Finish Dishwasher Cleaner once a month so as to stop this grime and limescale from building up, and to make sure that your dishwasher is always running at optimum performance.
At Finish, we particularly care about helping you with this difficult task, as some of the most important parts of your machine are those parts which are most difficult to clean. We also realise that the easier it is to clean your machine, the more likely it is that your machine will stay as clean as it can.
How do I use Finish Dishwasher Cleaner?
We often get asked about our Finish Dishwasher Cleaner and how best to use it, so here are some handy hints and tips to make the process as easy as possible.
- Ensure that your machine is empty, and do not use any other soap or detergent.
- Place the bottle upside down while keeping the lid on the bottle (but, instead, remove the sticker).
- Close the door and set the machine to high / intense heat setting, and then begin the cycle.
- Once the cycle is finished, remove the bottle, recycle it, and use your dishwasher safe in the knowledge that it can work at optimum efficiency.
- Repeat around once a month after regular use.
A small investment of time once a month to maintain your dishwasher pays out great rewards; improving Dishwasher efficiency and giving you much more opportunity to spend your time doing the things you love.
Top Tips for Cleaning a Dishwasher
Even though Finish Dishwasher Cleaner can help take care of all the hidden parts in your machine, it is still good practice to carry out the steps below. These will only take a few minutes and should be carried out before using Finish Dishwasher Cleaner:
- Clean the Exterior and Rubber Seals Loose food, dirt and grime can collect on the rubber seals around the dishwasher - try dislodging with an old toothbrush. You can also give the front of the dishwasher a rub down with warm soapy water. Be careful around the electronics usually located on the top of the door as excess liquid can cause machine faults.
- Remove Waste Food & Clean the Filter One of the main causes of bad smells in dishwashers is a clogged filter. Finish Dishwasher Cleaner can clear grease and limescale, but for larger pieces of food the filter will still need rinsing regularly. Luckily, most cylindrical dishwasher filters are detachable (usually located inside at the bottom of the dishwasher). There should be a screen covering the top which prevents larger pieces of food from clogging up the machine which can also be removed and be cleaned.Consult your dishwasher manual if you are unsure - most dishwasher manuals are available online from the manufacturer’s website.
- Clear the Spray Arms The spinning arms, located at the top of your machine, rotate at high speeds whist spraying water, blasting off food and dirt. Over time these arms can get clogged up with larger pieces of leftover food, grease and limescale, which results in reduced efficiency. Finish Dishwasher Cleaner can take care of the grease and limescale, however larger pieces of food may need to be dislodged. This can mean poor dishwashing performance with waste food still stuck on dishes after a wash cycle has ended. Use a tooth pick or other small instrument to clear the holes of any debris that might block the water flow.
Finish Dishwasher Cleaner will be able to dislodge grease and limescale from most tight spaces in your machine like the spray-arms, but an extra helping hand doesn’t do any harm.